Chinese New Year 2011 - Year of the
Happy Chinese New Year! We invite you to join us for demonstrations and workshops, Chinese Digital Community web tutorials, storytimes, plus music and dance performances.
Saturday 29 January 2011 - Friday 18 February 2011
Auckland Libraries welcomes the Year of the Rabbit with 80 events across the super city. Join in the fun and competitions! See details for library events in central Auckland:
* Chinese New Year storytimes
* Demonstrations and workshops
* Family history talk: Chinese New Year past and present
* Chinese Digital Community – website tutorials
* Music and dance events
Chinese New Year storytimes
* 1pm, Sunday 30 January – Remuera Library. Storytime and announcement of colouring competition winner.
* 11.30am, Saturday 5 February – Mt Albert Library
* 11am, Monday 7 February – Parnell Library
* 11am, Saturday 12 February – Avondale Library
* 11am, Saturday 12 February – Panmure Library. Chinese storytime and craft activities for children.
* 11am, Sunday 13 February – Central City Library. Bi-lingual storytime.
* 10.30am, Thursday 17 February – Grey Lynn Library. Katie Wang reads Chinese stories to pre-schoolers.
* 10am, Friday 18 February – Pt Chevalier Library. Bi-lingual storytime, music and dance.
Demonstrations and workshops
Calligraphy workshop and demonstration by Glen Innes Chinese Friendship Group
10am – noon, Thursday 3 February
Glen Innes Library
Lunar magic and traditions: a visual presentation
11am – noon, Thursday 10 February
Chinese crafts and leisure activities for senior citizens
A chance to meet and enjoy activities such as mahjong and calligraphy.
10am, Thursday 10 February
Chinese dumplings cooking demonstration with Lydia Han
11am, Saturday 12 February
Grey Lynn Library
3.30pm, Thursday 17 February
Cooking 'Babi Pongteh' (braised pork with mushroom and bamboo shoots) with Christina McTaggart-Tie
11am, Friday 18 February
Family history talk – Chinese New Year: past and present
Chinese New Year is an event of the highest importance to Chinese families. Come and hear Helen Wong discuss the past and present of Chinese New Year and its continuing importance within today’s community.
Noon - 1pm, Wednesday 16 February
Central City Library, Whare Wānanga (level 2)
>> Book a seat now.
Chinese Digital Community – website tutorials
Learn how to use the Chinese Digital Community website, a repository of historical and contemporary information for New Zealand’s Chinese community. Terrific for Chinese family history enthusiasts or general knowledge.
* 9am - 10am, Thursday 10 February – St Heliers Library. In English.
* 10am -11am, Wednesday 16 February – Parnell Library. In English.
* 10.30am - noon, Wednesday 16 February – Central City Library. In English.
Music and dance
Performance Day – Chinese instrument performances by Er Hu, bamboo flute solo, Chinese songs, Chinese cultural dance by Epsom Girls Grammar School, and dumpling making demonstration.
11am, Saturday 29 January
Traditional and contemporary dances performed by Chinese Friendship Group
10.30am - 1.30pm, Tuesday 1 February
Glen Innes Town Centre
Sophie Lin plays guzheng music
4pm, Tuesday 8 February
Blockhouse Bay Library
Chinese New Year Concert – music and dance
3.30pm - 5.30pm, Friday 11 February
Songs, dance and traditional music by Macang Dance Company
10.30am, Saturday 12 February
Music and cultural performances
11am, Saturday 12 February
Mt Albert Library
Chinese traditional music and dance by Macang Dance Company
2pm, Sunday 13 February
Central City Library
A celebration of music, fun and treats
10.30am, Saturday 19 February
Family entertainment with musicians, stories and dances
11am - 11.30am, Saturday 19 February
Mt Roskill Library